Friday 16 April 2010

Reflecting on my intention.

My intention to be the best yoga teacher i can be. Practice Practice Practice is the key.... and luckily for me i have ample volunteers that want me to teacher them. Recently I have been asked how yoga helps people with Multiple Sclerosis. I KNOW it does it helps me on a daily basis but my MS is different to every other individual unfortunate to belong the group of unfortunates diagnosed with MS.

I now consider MS my gift, for it limitations it has also given me many opportunities and possibilities that I would have been blissfully unaware. What is MS to me, something different every day i breathe but YOGA helps me breathe through all the difficult moments.

I have taken a small break from my studies to record this moment of reflection and to share how others have described the benefits of yoga for people with MS.



http://www.yogajp.com/mhtml/yogaformultiplesclerosis.html

Yoga for Multiple Sclerosis

Physical Benefits of Yoga for MS patients
People with MS have a wide range of physical capabilities depending on the nature and progression of their condition. Some days are easier than others, but a consistent attitude can bring about positive mental and physical benefits. A frequent yoga practice can improve both your physical and mental outlook so you can start to feel better!

Here's what you can expect from Yoga

  • Increased body awareness
  • Release of muscular tension
  • Better coordination and balance
  • Reduced fatigue
  • Greater flexibility and strength
  • Improved circulation and breathing
  • Reduce intolerance to heat
  • Improved organ function (Including bowel and bladder)
  • An overall feeling of well being
Yoga as Therapy for MS patients
YogaJP has been working with MS patients and the MS Association for many years and has designed specialized therapies to help loosen the joints and eventually increase mobility and muscle strength. Yoga is not a cure for MS, but yoga students continue to report relief from their MS symptoms and claim to sleep better and have more energy.

Yoga Reduces Fatigue In Multiple Sclerosis Patients, OHSU Study Finds
Just six months of yoga significantly reduces fatigue in people with multiple sclerosis, says a new Oregon Health & Science University study. The study, published in the journal Neurology, found that yoga is as good as a traditional aerobic exercise program in improving measures of fatigue, a common and potentially disabling symptom of MS. It was the first randomized, controlled trial of yoga in people with MS.


http://www.ohsu.edu/news/2004/060804yoga.html

No comments:

Post a Comment