Wednesday 10 March 2010

Feedback and reflection

Reflection and Feedback!



Photobucket



I spoke to all my volunteers and thanked them for donating their time and putting the effort to attend. After my thanks I enjoyed an open and relaxed feedback chat with my people who shared with me the challenge of a Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis.

All admitted to initially being apprehensive. They had just endured a lengthy travel to http://www.specialyoga.org.uk/ in Kensal Rise NW10, then once the practice was complete we all had to return home to south of the river to wonderful Croydon. They told me that they tried not to have any preconceptions of what would happen and enjoy the experience as much as they could with an open mind.

Thanks to:

Matt Simpson


Photobucket



Matt had a good night sleep; the best night sleeps for more than 5 years. He would definitely recommend yoga to others. Would he have to go back to North London for the treatment?


Gary Booth


Photobucket



Gary’s brother-in-law Garry kindly volunteered to drive us in his disabled adapted van. It was better than he thought it would be. He was definitely “less stiff” following the yoga. He would happily sing the benefits of yoga. He is worried that his quads are getting weaker and affecting his ability to function but he now felt there was some home he could do something to help himself. He advised that he was going to meet with Matt and want to tell the Croydon community of their shared experience. I look forward in hopeful expectation to see his report.

Karen Nash


Photobucket



I have known Karen for some time, our paths keep crossing. She has recently been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and the school had approached me, with another parent who had just been diagnosed with MS. I offered my phone number to forward to this other mum, it turns out that in addition to our children belonging to the same school, we had both attended the same school in our day were just a couple of the coincidences .

Karen had been begun to attend my regular Thursday class with me in Croydon. She knows yoga helps her and was perhaps more agile than Matt or Gary. She also expressed a fear that she could be developing more MS symptoms. As a friend I will talk with her and look at her options. Like me, she noticed that she was adjusted because of her position – MS does affect your special awareness and we both lied like a banana than straight, yoga would help to improve this.

And then there was me! – Karen Mascoll


Photobucket



Well I was thanked for arranging. I was hurt by when I was rejected by text by one of the potential volunteers refused to come and help. Then on the second day I was asked to think of something negative which in itself for me is a challenge, I can now easily reject negativity but actually was able to use the very recent negativity when I was asked to think of something bad and that made me unhappy as part of the workshops kinesiology experiment. When asked I put on over performance of doom and gloom, but it was against my nature to go to such dark places. I was relieved to quickly be able to return to the forever optimist positive Smiley Karen!

Unbeknown to me I had discovered the best tool for health – a positive attitude! + + + yoga + yoga + hugs, smiles and lots of love + yes lots more yoga…



Photobucket





I am not sure these people truly understand what MS is, I have discovered that I am surrounded by people with preconceived ideas of how badly the MS affects us, how ill or well we are in reality.


I have long since found the benefits of regular practicing yoga, some of which for me are:
• Less pain
• Improved strength
• Improved stamina
• Less affected by fatigue
• Better concentration
• Less stressed
• Improved muscles in my bowel and bladder…. I have had it confirmed that I have developed stronger muscles in other regions on my abdomen to compensate and help to prevent the more embarrassing problems that it would normally cause.

BUT …

I do still have MS; my fatigue is much improved but still affects me more than others.
I cannot look up without becoming disorientated and losing my balance, I am better balanced leaning on a wall for standing poses.
I do not have the stamina of my peers and when it fails me, I can be affected with symptoms that had subsided:

o Concentration
o Shaking
o Vision problems
o Dizziness
o … and all the other nasty symptoms that had subsided..

but I will continue to work to be the best I can be and develop and improve my own personal yoga practice.



Photobucket



Rachel also diagnosed with MS and also attending the workshop agreed to participate. I will try to get her feedback at a later stage… need her contact details!

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm261/smiliekaren/yoga%20teacher%20training%20workshop%20%20pictures/

Now back to my yoga academy teacher training… well almost, the ball is rolling to arrange for a yoga centre to locate in my home of Croydon…watch this space...!




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment