Sunday 7 February 2010

Dr Ruth asked...

My GP surgery were very aware of my passion for yoga, and how I strongly felt my health had benefitted greatly from my own personal practice. Then I shared my news of how I was now training to be a yoga teacher and hoped to introduce the joys and share the benefits of yoga give I to all.

On an appointment with Dr Ruth she asked if I would talk to her girl guides about yoga. I explained that i was not qualified to teach but she was keen for me to share my experiences. This Friday I arrived extremely at St George Church, Girl Guide group. I was wearing my luminous pink tee sheet with a smiley face over the word “Happy” I wanted to ooze that yoga was fun.
Photobucket
There were 16 girls aged between 11-14, all of whom were very familiar with “wii yoga fit” but wanted to do some real yoga. The girls were split into two groups and I repeated the same half hour yoga session with them. Dr Ruth took part in each of the two talks and gave me reassure that there was a medically qualified person there, even though I was going to illustrate the most simple of examples. I sat them on the mat and asked if the work “like to do some yoga?” All quickly affirmed they would love too. I smiled as I informed that they had already begin their yoga practice, I believed most of yoga practice was intention....

Photobucket


“Do you want more then?”... A very loud yes confirmed. I taught some of the basics of breathing as we sat crossed leg. Lifting arms up slowly up on the in breath and down on the out breath, repeating several times. The simplest of sitting twists, over each shoulder. I hen showed them the child pose, the explained if at any point anything feels uncomfortable this rest position will also advise me that they need my help.


Most were familiar with some basic poses and i took them through a simple sequence including child to table then “scared” cat (in breathe) through to “roaring” lion on the out breathe, followed by the downward dog and which we walked in position and advised what breathe we were using. Then walked hands into legs and held the rag doll, took several breathes, hold chin to chest as traced hands up the legs – last thing to rise was the head. This sequence was built, always returning to the child pose. When we finally were in a standing position all the children, and Dr Ruth, were warm and ready to practice.

Photobucket


For about 10 minutes we played with poses they were familiar, and explained that they must listen to their body, and stop if it dictates. (assume child pose). Then to cool down I showed them the Hindi squat and showed them how to fall if they lost balance to avoid injury. Then we again were sat, and I repeated the sitting reaches and twists, ending with stretches in the staff pose and lie them down. For five minutes of muscle tense and relax and then some breathing meditation to bring our brief practice to an end. Then they went off to be pampered for 30minutes and I repeated again with the second group!

After both groups, I asked if there were any questions. My goodness there were plenty, some wanted to know where I taught, such a great compliment. Both Doctor Ruth and both groups expressed they enjoyed a pleasant experience, or “it was good, can you come again?”

Then I was presented with some delicious chocolates and a bottle of red wine, as a tangible thank you. I expressed my mutual gratitude and thanked them for a pleasant evening.
Of course, I could think of many ways to improve my performance but i tried to be kind to myself, and was very pleased to be able to share my limited knowledge and opinion. Perhaps my passion for yoga could spark an interest in the next generation...


If it is meant to be...

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment